Vegan skin care tips: choosing the right vegan deodorant
You’d have to be living under a rock to have not noticed the importance of taking climate action. One of the ways to do this is by living a plant-based lifestyle. It’s one of the ways we can all do our bit to support the environment and all the ecosystems in it by just sticking to fruits and vegetables. There are many diets to choose from – raw diets, plant-based ones, or you can even become a fruitarian (we only know that one from Notting Hill) – but veganism is gaining serious popularity and there are good reasons too.
Whatever choice you make we’re here to talk about vegan beauty products.
What is vegan skincare?
Vegan skincare doesn’t have any ingredients that are derived from animals or use animal by-products. This includes:
- Milk proteins
- Animal-based Glycerin
- Animal-based Squalene
- Animal-based Hyaluronic Acid
- Animal-based Oleic Acid
With all this popularity, there are now so many products to choose from, which can make shopping that little bit more difficult. How do you know where to look? That’s where we come in!
Making the switch to a natural vegan deodorant
There are so many reasons why you should choose a natural vegan deodorant over other antiperspirants and deodorants. Other antiperspirants are packed full with aluminium salts that block sweat glands. While this may sound useful, sweating is a natural bodily function that helps cool us down. Yes, we know, you don’t want to sweat too much, but a little bit is okay.
At AKT we developed Deo-Barrier Complex™, a combination of natural plant and mineral powders that sit invisibly on the skin without blocking glands, and absorb natural perspiration throughout the day. Keeping you feeling dry and fresh all day long. But don’t just take our word for it, AKT has been tried and tested on 1,000 professional dancers and athletes in the West End — not animals.
What’s the best deodorant for vegan skin?
The wonder of natural, vegan deodorant is that it’s less likely to dry your skin out. Everybody is different, so we’re not here to preach to the choir, but we want to help you avoid any unnecessary pit-falls (excuse the pun).
It’s important to use products that are kind to sensitive skin. The underarms are one of the most sensitive parts of the body, with the largest concentration of immune supporting lymph nodes — so it’s important we take better care of them.
By avoiding harsh sprays and chemical deodorants you’ll be taking better care of your skin AND the environment (side note — did you know that aerosols are now the largest air polluter in the UK?) By using a vegan deodorant balm, you can not only protect yourself from body odour but also moisturise your skin at the same time. At AKT, we also use The Deodorant Balm on our feet, forehead or chest, as well as our underarms, to help us feel dry all day — wherever we need it.
What’s more, we developed The Applicator — a handy brass tool to apply the balm and stimulate lymphatic drainage for improved immune health. We’ve really thought it through!
What vegan ingredients does AKT use?
AKT co-founders Ed Currie and Andy Coxon spent three years refining the ingredients to make what has now become the most awarded natural deodorant in the UK (you can even check out our 10,000+ customer reviews). Think of it as the longest dress rehearsal of their life. Practice makes perfect and after figuring out a winning formula, The Deodorant Balm was born.
AKT uses natural ingredients, such as Shea Butter, rich in fatty acids and vitamins A, E and F to leave skin feeling super silky. Other key ingredients include: Other key ingredients include:
- Apricot Kernel Oil
- Diatomaceous Earth (an ancient fossilised algae) to absorb perspiration
- Calendula oil, extracted from the marigold flower, to soothe shaving burn
- Essential oils for their antimicrobial properties and amazing fragrance
- Zinc Oxide to cleanse the skin
But which deodorant balm should I choose?
Obviously, we highly recommend getting the full Ensemble and The Newcomers (biased? us!?), but if you want to try a few before going the whole hog, we can provide you with some pointers on the ingredients of our famous natural and vegan-friendly balms.
We’ve hand-picked these for their amazing properties to make the best gender-free vegan deodorant. We even made a fragrance free version for sensitive skin. Some of the ingredients have been used for centuries – if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!
A few of our key ingredients in the citrussy natural deodorant SC.01 Orange Grove, include:
- Citrus Nobilis Peel oil (also known as Mandarin Orange Peel oil) - restores and rejuvenates dry skin
- Juniperus Communis Fruit (Juniper Berry) oil - prevents skin irritation and rashes, and is also known to help treat acne
Then in our SC.02 After Thunder, we’ve collated a refreshing blend of the following:
- Cupressus Funebris (Cedar) Wood oil - this is an ancient antiseptic that can help clear skin and adds a soft scent
- Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf oil - known to be good for eczema and reduces inflammation
- Citrus Aurantium Amara (Bitter Orange) Peel oil - has antibacterial properties and a soothing aroma
- Rosmarinus Officinalis Leaf (Rosemary) oil - helps get rid of toxins in the skin and aids lymphatic drainage
Inspired by the traditional Japanese spa, we have SC.03 The Onsen:
- Vetiveria Zizanoides (Vetiver) Root oil - an ancient ingredient known to reduce scars and blemishes
- Lavandula Hybrida Grosso Herb (Lavandin) oil - an anti-inflammatory that leaves you smelling great
- Citrus Limon Peel oil - rich in antioxidants it gives a welcome boost to the skin
- Pogostemon Cablin (Patchouli) Leaf Extract - a woody scent that revitalises skin cells
Next to the stage, we welcome SC.04 Halcyon Summers - our Mediterranean escape (in a tube!):
- Bergamot - A powerful, sweet aroma which stimulates the senses
- Grapefruit Essential Oil - A refreshing way to relieve stress and promote equilibrium.
- Cedarwood Virginian - From the Juniperus Virginiana. Earthy and strong it keep you grounded and comforted
Last but not least, our newest cast member brings fresh cut stems and good coffee to mind. Enter: SC.05 Columbia Road.
- Violet Leaf Absolute - sweet and smooth it promotes a calm and positive mentality
- Rose Bulgare Essence - An uplifting bouquet to relieve stress and calm the mind
- Tonka Absolute - Scientifically the Dipteryx odorata plant, it’s a natural aphrodisiac!
And there’s not a single animal by-product in there! So we can all do a happy little vegan dance. The only question is: which scent will you try first?